Sometimes things just get in the way of what you thought you`d be doing. I realised the other day that I hadn`t posted anything on my blog for over a month, which made me wonder where did all the time go, and last but not least, how I spent all that time. I figured that there were at least three time consuming things that had been taking up my time more than usual.
- University. A new semester, which included 4 different courses: Victorian literature; Language Acquisition; Morphology and Syntax and Bachelor thesis in Literature. So far I`ve been doing just fine on all the reading, and I can assure you, there`s a lot of pages to be read. Taking an extra course can feel a bit heavy on the workload sometimes, but I managed to do it last semester with good results, so I`m just trying to focus on how close I am to finish my BA. Just 4 months to go! Though I have to admit that it`s difficult to get time to read one novel a week. Especially when it´s written in the 19th century. Brontë and Dickens are wonderful writers, but very time-consuming.
- Fibromyalgia. Four years ago I got this time consuming, energy draining chronic illness. I guess it had been lying underneath the surface for a while, as several of the symptoms were well known from my childhood, but a case of Mononucleosis caused it to appear and make life very difficult for a long time. One of the things making this condition worse is weather change, and January and February so far has been a difficult time period so far. One day it`s really, really cold outside, the next it`s raining outside. Not only is it difficult to dress to this kind of weather, but it also makes my body ache and really drains all the energy out of me. So having to combine this with extensive studies with mandatory attendance has been difficult. And a bit depressing at times. But I decided not to let it get to me. Because it`s going to get better. I know it will. In the meantime;
- TV-Shows. I`ve just recently discovered some new TV shows that doesn’t air on Norwegian TV, so I`ve been watching several seasons online. My latest discovery is Switched at Birth. Loving the whole deaf-angle. I mean this in a very positive way, because I really love linguistics and would love to learn sign language one day! The other show is an American “classic”; Sopranos. My BF got the entire season collection for Christmas, and we`re currently on the last season. Mafioso!
What are your time-thieves?
When my mom asked what I wanted for christmas, I told her the only thing I really wanted and needed was a contribution for saving up for a new computer, as my old one was dying a slow and annoying death by deleting my files and constantly showing me its blue screens of death. She knew I`d always wanted a Macbook, but I didn`t mention it because it had never been something that I could afford. I was thinking about one of those cheap computers that lasts 2 years, tops. But one day she had one of those funny smiles on her face, when she has some good news she wants to share. And that`s when she told me she wanted to give me a Macbook, seeing I needed something more solid for my schoolwork.
Only downside was that I had to keep it a secret from my siblings. My brother would probably have been happy for me, but my sister. Oh my. If she had known that I got something as expensive as that, all hell would break loose. I guess you`re all probably imagining my sister being younger than me, but that`s where you`re wrong. She`s 37 years. But acts as an immature and selfish 14 year old spoiled brat sometimes.
But enough about family. I`m just so happy for this incredible gift, and I`m definetely going to make the most of it, and it`ll hopefully last for many years! Have to say it`s a relief not having to worry if mandatory essays suddenly goes missing, or losing some research because the computer says adieu. I`m already feeling much more inspired to write my bachelor thesis. Though ask me again about that in a couple of months when I`m all swamped with schoolworks and obligatory essays.
That`s right, been watching some Downton Abbey. Ever seen it? It`s superb!
I’m in the final stage of composing my essay on the female struggle in 19th century America. Soon, I’ll be done and the holidays can finally begin! Can’t wait! Until then I’ll probably be chugging down yet another diet coke.
I’ve spent most of this Sunday preparing for my take-home exam tomorrow. Luckily, I have some brilliant study buddies encouraging me to finish sooner, so that I can take some time and go for a walk with them:-)
- Finish my take-home exam next week.
- Spend a lot of time on the beach
- Have long breakfasts on the balcony while enjoying the view of palm trees
- Take long walks with our two dogs
- Visit the island`s capital, Las Palmas and take a walk in the old town.
- Make some more Christmas sweets
- Play and cuddle with the dogs; they`re just the cutest ever!
- Spend quality time with my family
- Go shopping for some much needed new clothes
- Plan a strictly food-blog project
- Drink a lot of ice-cold Diet Coke
- Have long talks with my mom
- Go to church on Christmas Eve
- Write more exciting posts on travelling
- Eat a lot of Chinese food
- Donate christmas gifts to charity
- Make the Christmas-dinner
- Try new recipes and share them with you
- Help my brother with finding an apartment
- Eat the best ice-cream in the world
- Order curricula for the spring semester
- Celebrate new year`s Eve with my best friends
What are your goals for this Christmas?